By F. Amanda Tugade
So, you just turned 21. Congratulations!
You know what that means. You’re an adult now, so you can’t be caught dead drinking jungle juice and Keystones. You have the power to buy alcohol from the liquor store and order drinks at the bar. Finally!
However, those years of cheap frat house party mixed drinks have been detrimental to you. They have robbed you of acquiring a better taste for alcohol, and when you finally get asked what kind of drink you want to have at the bar, you have absolutely no clue. You take a look at the specials, and you ask yourself: is that the Da Vinci code or are those names of drinks?
So, to make it a little easier for you, here’s a quick list of drinks to order at the bar that’ll surely make you feeling classy in no time:
1. Jack and Coke — Simple and cool. It’s just Jack Daniel’s whiskey with the better choice of Coca-Cola.
2. Sex on the Beach — This drink tastes like summer. It’s usually made up of a little bit of vodka, peach schnapps, cranberry juice and orange juice.
3. Blue Hawaiian — Another yummy drink, but without the swirl of colors like sex on the beach. Blue Hawaiian contains pineapple juice, rum, blue curacao and crème de coconut. May or may not include a Maraschino cherry.
4. Whiskey Sour — Classic. Whiskey sour contains whiskey (obviously), lemon juice and sugar syrup.
5. Third Shift — Beer is definitely an acquired taste, but I’m not your typical beer person. However, this is a beer that I’ve gotten along with at the bar. It’s not too heavy where I feel like I want to throw up, but it’s not too light where it goes down my throat like water.
6. Long Islands — Please drink this slowly. It contains rum, gin, vodka, tequila, a sour mix and triple sec (a colorless orange flavored liqueur).
7. Just order something. You never know until you try.